Sunday, February 22, 2009

This Has to End! It Has to - Violence Against Women and Children

Why do we care? Why do we do what we do to try to make the world a better place? Why, for me, is about women and girls? Why do I believe that the world would be a more just and equitable place if women and girls were treated in a more just and equitable way? Because I believe in the GIRL EFFECT. Because you can extend that in to the WOMEN EFFECT which is the paradigm embraced by the Womens Funding Network and many, many many more organizations such as CARE. Click on both to learn more. I believe with my whole heart the power of investing in women and girls.

This weekend I was stopped in my tracks when I read this piece, The Invisible War, by Bob Herbert in the New York Times. We have heard these stories about rape and torture of innocent women and children but have we truly paid attention to them? Even if we do pay attention, what do we do with that? We have to do something. We have to. We just have to. This has to end. Violence against women and children has to end. Read it.

Ok now what you ask? Here is a list.

1) Write a letter to the New York Times and Bob Herbert thanking them for bringing awareness to this ongoing tragedy and ask them to do more. Write lots of letters.

2) Donate to VDAY and write Eve Ensler to thank her for the work she does in the world to bring the issue of violence against women from the private to the public space and more. Ask your friends to donate too.

3) Plan a PEACE Party to help bring awareness and to bring an end violence. I had mine two weeks ago, in support of Lamont Hiebert and his work in the world. Use your own creative ideas to bring people together to raise awareness and raise money.

4) Call your local domestic violence crisis center and ask what you can do to help. Volunteer.

Thanks for reading and thank you for being a person who cares.
As I put this to print I am watching Slumdog Millionaire win best picture - I LOVE IT!! This was the best movie I saw in a long time and here is why. It is a story about hope and possibility and it is exactly the right way to end this entry.

No comments: