Thursday, April 17, 2008

An Epic Evening

Tonight I will be attending an event I have been looking forward to for some time, the EPIC AWARDS, which will celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the White House Project. Those of you who know me would not be surprised to learn that this is an organization I have supported for years, and encourage you all to do the same. “The White House Project is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, 501(c)(3) organization that aims to advance women’s leadership in all communities and sectors—up to the U.S. presidency—by filling the leadership pipeline with a richly diverse, critical mass of women. “ I like that. We need that. The organization is run by one of the most incredible women leaders of the non-profit sector, Marie Wilson. Before starting this organization (with others) Maria was head of the Ms. Foundation, another noteworthy organization I am proud to support. For over 30 years Marie has worked on behalf of women and girls in this country and beyond. I am truly honored to call her a friend. To get a sense of Maria read her latest post on HuffPo.

This year the WHP will be honoring, among others, Abigail Disney who is responsible for the new documentary Pray the Devil Back to Hell, a film about the extraordinary story of a band of Liberian women who came together in the midst of a bloody civil war, took on the warlords, and brought peace to their shattered country. I believe it is premiering soon so be sure to put that one on your list.

They will also be honoring a group of 10 women, for their extraordinary contributions, including many I know well: my dear friend and mentor, Barbara Dopkin, my new friend and powerhouse at Best Buy, Julie Gilbert, the head of human capital management at Morgan Stanley, Linda Reifler, and the two Goddesses who are behind the “Women Moving Millions Campaign” , Helen LaKelly and Swanee Hunt. It will be an absolute and complete feminist party and I cannot wait to be there.

Hmmmm …. Though I was planning on wearing a red dress, I just might have to break out my Wonder Woman Costume. I cannot think of a better occasion.

No comments: